What can I do at home to keep my teeth healthy?
It’s critical to establish good dental habits at home. This helps you avoid cavities, gum disease, enamel wear, and other dental troubles.
Dr. Urquiaga urges you to incorporate the following into your own preventive dentistry game plan:
- Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste daily. Try to replace your toothbrush three to four times each year, as bristles naturally fray. Make sure you brush your tongue too, as this helps get rid of bacteria from your mouth and also freshens your breath.
- Floss daily. This helps you clean out the tight, hard-to-reach spaces between your teeth. To get the most out of flossing, make sure you’re using the right method. At your next dental appointment, ask Dr. Urquiaga for a flossing demonstration to ensure you’re getting the full benefits of flossing.
- Visit your dentist. See Dr. Urquiaga at least twice per year for a dental exam. He’ll check on any problems in your teeth or gums. Having regular dental exams allow him to identify problems and address them immediately.
- Eat a healthy diet. This protects your tooth and provides them with the necessary nutrients for good health. Minimize your sugar intake and drink plenty of water. Eating a varied diet helps you get all the vitamins you need to keep your teeth strong and white.
These tips are meant to ensure your teeth stay healthy for many years to come. Children should be taught proper oral hygiene early on to develop good habits.
What does preventive dentistry do?
Good preventive dentistry can reduce your risk of developing the following conditions:
- Tooth decay
- Enamel loss
Children and adults both benefit immensely from preventive dentistry. The mouth is where harmful bacteria festers. Maintaining a clean mouth has a direct impact your on overall health.
Do I need professional teeth cleanings?
Dr. Urquiaga recommends professional teeth cleaning at his office at least twice per year. Professional teeth cleanings:
- Prevent cavities
- Prevent and stop tooth loss
- Brighten and whiten your teeth
- Freshen your breath
- Boost overall health
- Save you money, practicing oral health in the short term can protect you from costly procedures down the road
Make an appointment for a teeth cleaning with Dr. Urquiaga today.